- Gritty’s Portland Brew Pub opened in 1988. It became Maine’s first brew pub since prohibition and a leader in the state’s craft brew revolution. Since then, locals and visitors from around the world have been enjoying fine, small-batch ales. Gritty’s brews on-premise and serves great pub fare in an old world pub atmosphere.
- Gritty’s Portland Brew Pub is the perfect place to experience the ambiance of Portland’s Old Port.
Our Fore Street location is in the heart of the historic district. Pull up a chair at our copper-topped bar. Strike up a conversation at our beer hall style tables. Take in the street life on the cobblestones of Wharf Street from our patio.
- We’re open everyday and you’re always welcome. Gritty’s has become a Maine institution, garnering many awards for Best Bar, Best Brew Pub and Best Beer. Stop in, have a pint and see where the legend began. Cheers!
Portland Brew Pub
396 Fore Street
Portland, Maine 04101
Music & Gritty’s Events
- Live Music at Gritty’s Portland. All bands start around 9 pm unless noted. No cover.
Every Tuesday – Travis James Humphrey 7-10 pm
Every Thursday – Band Beyond Description 9 pm
Saturday, Feb. 10 – Farm House Project and the Onesie Bar Crawl night
Saturday, Feb. 17 – Travis James Humphrey
- Try the IPL, India Pale Lager from Gritty’s in Freeport but on tap in Portland too. Our head brewer in Freeport, Greg Sansone formulated & brewed this beer using English two-row lager malt, German lager yeast & a combination of Centennial, Cascade, Citra & Lemon Drop hops. This beer has a crisp taste upfront as a result of a six week laagering & finishes with sharp citrus notes from the American hops. On tap in all locations.
Just in time for Valentine’s Day, Gritty’s Portland is putting a Red IPA on tap. Better known as “RIPA,” this small batch red IPA will be brewed with Citra, Simcoe and Amarillo hops. What’s not to love about a beer that features citrus undertones with a clean red color? Around 5.5% ABV.
Scottish Ale comes out just as winter really gets roaring! Scottish Ale returns in late December to help you weather the season. Gritty’s Scottish Ale is our interpretation of the robust brews native to Scotland. Generous quantities of Pale malt along with Munich and Caramalts give this ale a deep and complex profile. A few shades darker than our Bitter, with a rich, slightly sweet first impression on the palate that rounds out to a satisfying maltiness with a medium-dry hop finish. At 6.3% ABV it’s hearty but not overwhelming. On tap at all locations!
- What’s in your mystery envelope? If you were lucky enough to get one of the Mystery Envelopes during December, bring it back to the Gritty’s in January to see what you won. The envelope MUST still be sealed. Your server will open the sealed envelope to see if you won an instant discount, a free meal, Gritty gear or a Gritty gift card.
- The battle is on! IPL vs IPA? Which beer is better? Gritty’s Freeport has the India Pale Lager and Gritty’s Portland has the Pineapple Express IPA. Do you prefer the smooth India Pale Lager or the grape fruitiness of the India Pale Ale? Whichever beer sells the most pints in February wins and will be brewed again!
- Gritty’s is a great place to watch the Pats in the Super Bowl. But, if you’re planning a house party instead, give your favorite Gritty’s pub a call before the game to order some wings and a growler of your favorite beer to-go from Gritty’s.
We’re starting the “March to St Pat’s Day” with a great drink special in all the pubs! Get one of Gritty’s IPA’s and a shot of Jameson’s new IPA Caskmates Whiskey during February as we march towards St Patrick’s Day.
And in the “we’ve seen it all category,” Gritty’s is one of the stops on the biggest and best Onesie Bar Crawl. That is happening on Saturday, Feb 10th. Join hundreds of crawlers dressed up in their best Onsies, PJ’s, Sweatpants, or Snuggie. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/onesie-bar-crawl-portland-tickets-39086068483
- “Three, four and five” are all you need to remember during Happy Hour at Gritty’s Portland.
Mug Club Members will pay $3 for their mugs, pints for all other customers are $4 and well drinks are just $5 for all during Happy Hour from Monday to Thursday, 5-7pm and on Fridays, 4 to 8pm. Don’t miss the rotating food specials either!
Pitchers of Gritty’s for just $12 every night of the week in Portland from 9pm to close.
Which means that’s $3 per pint in a really big container. Bring your friends!
Meanwhile on Mondays at Gritty’s Portland, Kids Eat FREE from 5 to 10pm. If a child orders off our Kids’ Menu anytime on Monday they eat FREE. Children must be accompanied by at least one adult who orders off our regular menu at the same table. Bring the family to Gritty’s Portland on Monday for dinner. (Sorry, not valid on any holidays that fall on a Monday. Not valid for take away and cannot be combined with any other special offer. Limited to kids 12 years old or younger, and to just 4 children per table.)
Save $4! On Tuesday Gritty’s in Portland cut the base price of a ‘burger from $10.99 to $6.99 during Happy Hour from 5-7pm. Don’t miss Travis James Humphrey playing LIVE from 7-10 pm.
On Wednesdays at Gritty’s Portland get the Fried Appetizer Sampler for just $4 during Happy Hour! (Onion Rings, pickle chips and ‘shrooms) Don’t miss the Trivia Quiz Show with Joey and Rob at 7pm.
Thursdays is HALF OFF Nacho’s during Happy Hour from 5-7pm at Gritty’s In Portland.
Don’t forget Band Beyond Description plays from 9-midnight!
Get 50¢ WINGS at Gritty’s Portland on Fridays during Happy Hour from 4-8pm.
NEw Menu Specials
- Fried Brussel Sprouts $8.99
Deep fried brussel sprouts served with sriracha aioli
Ale and Onion Soup $5.99 cup $6.99 crock
Caramelized onions, Gritty’s ale and stock topped with crostini and provolone cheese.
Autumn Chicken Salad Sandwich $11.99
Chicken salad, walnuts, cranberries and mayonnaise served on focaccia bread with choice of side.
Fall Harvest Salad $11.99
Kale, roasted butternut squash, cranberries, apple slices and walnuts tossed in apple cider vinaigrette.
Open Faced Turkey Sandwich $12.99
Roasted garlic bread, mashed potato, stuffing and house-roasted turkey served open faced and topped with gravy.
Steak Tip Dinner $16.99
House marinated steak tips served with choice of two sides. Steak tips served plain, teriyaki or BBQ.
Short Rib Pappardelle $17.99
Braised short ribs and mushrooms tossed in a red wine demi-glaze with pappardelle pasta.