- Gritty’s Portland Brew Pub is the perfect place to experience the ambiance of Portland’s Old Port.
- Since 1988, Gritty’s missions have been to craft the best beers possible, serve the very best pub food, and to have way too much fun doing both. For more than 30 years, Gritty’s has succeeded in all three (especially the third…just sayin’).
- From its humble beginnings as a small brewpub in Portland’s Old Port, Gritty’s has been brewing authentic English ales and has grown to become the brewery of choice for thousands of Mainers and visitors alike. As Maine’s first brewpub since the repeal of Prohibition in 1933 and the state’s second overall brewery, Gritty’s is proud to be one of the earliest pioneers of the brewing renaissance in Maine, with owners Ed Stebbins and Richard Pfeffer helping to carve the path to where we are now. With three locations – in the heart of Portland’s Old Port, on Route 1 in the heart of Freeport, and in the spirited downtown of Auburn on the banks of the Androscoggin River – Gritty’s has become a true Maine institution, garnering awards such as Best Bar, Best Brewpub & Best Beer.
- “There are very few 30-year-old brewpubs in America; I’m pretty sure you could count them on one hand,” says Stebbins. “I know that does not fit into the ‘newest is best’ climate that rules Maine’s beer business these days, but, let’s be honest, how much time does a new brewery get to be ‘new’ these days? Gritty’s will always be the first.”
Our Fore Street location is in the heart of the historic district. Pull up a chair at our copper-topped bar. Strike up a conversation at our beer hall style tables. Take in the street life on the cobblestones of Wharf Street from our patio. Visit us and see where the legend began!
Music & Gritty’s Events
- Live Music at Gritty’s Portland. Never a cover charge.
Saturday, February 8 – Hello Newman
Saturday, February 22 – Gina & The Red Eye Flight Crew
Saturday, February 29 – Livid Orange
Every Tuesday – Travis James Humphrey (7-10pm)
Every Thursday – Band Beyond Description
- Things are getting spooky in our downstairs bar. Every Thursday night, join our bartender Michaela in our downstairs bar for Horror Movie Night! Starting at 6:30pm, enjoy $5 horror-themed drinks while Michaela plays modern and classic horror movies guaranteed to get you spooked. If you get so scared you wet your pants, don’t worry – this is a judgement-free zone.
Every Monday night, join us for Open Mic Nights! Sign-ups begin at 8:30; show begins at 9pm. This is your chance to “rehearse” for paid gigs at our Portland pub, or simply play for fun! FMI contact Ryan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Happy Hour! From Monday to Thursday, 4-6pm, Mug Club Members enjoy mugs for $4 for their mugs. Pints and well drinks for all other customers are just $5!
Mondays – Open Mic Night! Starting at 9pm, come show off your mad music skills at Gritty’s Portland. This is a great opportunity for musicians to audition for paid gigs at Gritty’s Portland, or just play for fun! Sign ups begin at 8:30pm. For inquiries or to book ahead, contact email@example.com
Wednesdays – 75¢ wings ALL DAY, & Trivia Night with Rob and Joey at 7pm! During Trivia, enjoy this special as well as $5 well drinks, pints and mugs!
Thursdays: Horror Movie Night in the downstairs bar! Starting at 6:30pm, watch both modern & classic horror movies with our bartender Michaela and enjoy $5 horror-themed drinks such as Dead Man’s Blood, The Infection & Children of the Curacao!
Fridays – Happy Hour from 4 to 7pm with the normal happy hour drink specials, PLUS 75¢ wings!